Sunday, March 11, 2012

Waffles!

We recently purchased a new waffle iron, and before contaminating it with milk, wheat and egg, I wanted to try out an allergy-friendly version first. I came across this recipe at The Daily Dietribe and was thrilled with the results!

A rarity, I actually was able to use the recipe as written! It's written for any flour, starch or milk, but I wanted to record exactly what I've been using so I wouldn't have to keep relying on my memory every time I make a new batch.


I have started using my scale for baking whenever possible, so I have only used the weight measurements. The volume measurements are by The Daily Dietribe

Dry Ingredients:
158 grams superfine brown rice flour (1 cup + 3 Tablespoons)
86 grams arrowroot starch (1/2 cup)
2 tsp safe baking powder (see sidebar)
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
2 Tbls granulated sugar

Wet Ingredients:
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbls canola oil
196 grams full-fat coconut milk w/o guar gum (1/2 a 14oz can)
1/4 - 1/2 cup water (1/2 - 3/4 cup for pancakes)

Stir together dry ingredients. Add in wet ingredients except for water and stir. Add water while stirring until the batter is thick but spreadable. 

Pour just enough batter onto preheated waffle iron and cook until lightly golden. Serve warm with maple syrup, chocolate syrup, jam or fresh fruit! They are a hit! 


p.s. The waffle iron has now been designated as allergy safe, so no allergens are ever going to be cooked it in. :)

I posted this recipe to Cybele Pascal's Allergy Friendly Friday (on-a-Monday) post on March 12, 2012! Take a look at all the other great recipes posted -- all are allergy friendly in some way!

Allergy-Friendly Friday with Cybele Pascal

3 comments:

  1. My daughter is allergic to quite a few things including dairy, eggs, wheat, and coconut. Is there something that I can substitute coconut oil with for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous! First of all, I finally noticed my typo there - instead of coconut oil that should have been coconut milk. I've corrected it now. You can substitute any safe milk, rice, oat or hemp milk perhaps? Where I have coconut milk and water (since the coconut milk is so thick) you could probably use just your safe milk. Hope you enjoy the result!

      Delete
  2. Just in case, she's also allergic to tree nuts and legumes.

    ReplyDelete