Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Adding to the list

Unfortunately over the last few weeks we've discovered a few new additions to the little guy's list of unsafe foods.

My little guy LOVES chocolate. He comes by it naturally. :) And he's been on quite the cereal kick lately, so after some researching, I found that the Envirokids Koala Crisp cereal would probably be safe. It's got the warning that it may contain peanuts or tree nuts, but it is made only in the same factory, but on different equipment, so we gave it a try. As expected, he absolutely loved it! So did my girls and even my husband. But, soon after trying it his eczema really started to flare. So no more.

Last week I made this homemade taco seasoning recipe and substituted the corn starch for arrowroot starch. It was delicious and thinking only about it not including corn, I let the little guy try some of the taco meat. He loved it and begged for more! What I wasn't thinking about was the oregano. He'd had mild symptoms before after having small amounts of it, but I wasn't sure it it was the problem. That night he couldn't sleep unless he was being held, a sure sign that he's in pain, and he had GI symptoms for several more days.  I will make a new batch of the seasoning without the oregano so we have a meal we can all eat.

Just today his sister sweetly shared a grape from her bowl with him and I wasn't quick enough to stop him from eating it. Grapes are safe for him, and they've shared grapes before, so she didn't realize she shouldn't have shared. In her bowl were both grapes and sliced strawberries. We'd been avoiding all berries for him because I know they are common allergies and I was pretty allergic to strawberries as a kid. Within a few minutes he had hives on his cheeks, chin and neck.

I have more recipes to share, and even more things I want to try to come up with recipes for, just need to find the time to do it! After searching and searching locally for some golden syrup I finally ordered a case off Amazon. I want to make some marshmallows and lollipops with it, and I'm sure I'll find some more uses for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment