Saturday, August 27, 2011

Chocolate Chip Crispy Cookies

It's been a while since I'd made my little guy his own safe chocolate chip cookies, and the recipe I used before needed some changes, so we gave it a try together while my girls were in school. He especially loved taste-testing the dough along the way (a great benefit of egg-free batter!).

I intentionally made these small because they were for him but also because my previous attempts produced a rather flimsy cookie, but these are pretty sturdy despite begin thin.


Chocolate Chip Crispy Cookies

1/2 cup shortening (I use Spectrum Organic Palm Shortening)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup barley flour*
1/2 cup oat flour*
1/4 cup arrowroot starch
3/4 tsp baking powder (homemade corn free, see sidebar)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat mat.

In a medium bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar and white sugar. Then mix in the applesauce. In a separate bowl mix together the barley flour, oat flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder and salt. Slowly mix in all the dry ingredients into the sugar/shortening mixture until fully blended.  Then stir in the chocolate chips.

 Place rounded teaspoon-fulls on the lined baking sheet, leaving about 3 inches between each. Bake for approximately 8 1/2 minutes or until edges are set and center is no longer bubbling. Cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.

Yields about 60 cookies, 2" in diameter.

Enjoy!


* If you can't use gluten grains, why don't you try substituting the barley and oat with your favorite flour?

I included these cookies this week on Cybele Pascal's Allergy Friendly Friday! Be sure to visit and see all the creative allergy-friendly recipes!

1 comment:

  1. These look fantastic! I haven't tried barley flour for my wheat-allergic husband. I have a recipe for wonderful oatmeal cookies that are free of all allergens. Your son might enjoy them too. http://willingcook.com/recipe-grandmas-oatmeal-cookies/

    ReplyDelete